Beginning January 1, 2023, the state’s Rent Reimbursement program will be administered by the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). For information about filing for Rent Reimbursement in 2023, visit the HHS website.
all aarp tax assistance requires an appointment. there are no walk ins accepted. Appointments are accepted beginning January 17. To make your first appointment call 319-334-1019 (weekdays between 9-5). Clients can also schedule their own appointment at https://www.vccv.org/taxaide.html
- All tax information for federal taxes can be found at www.irs.gov
- To obtain Federal Forms Online: https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
- To request federal forms mailed to you: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/order-products or Phone 1-800-829-3676
- For questions about federal taxes call 1-800-829-1040
- Locate your local IRS office
- Electronic and printable forms can be found at https://tax.iowa.gov/forms
- To request Iowa State Forms Mailed to you: Phone 515-281-3114 or 800-367-3388
- For questions about Iowa taxes call 1-800-367-3388
IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
French, Burmese, & Spanish language assistance is available. An appointment is required. Please call 319-296-4278.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance at UNI College of Business. Click here for all the details.
AARP Tax-Aide Free Income Tax Help
Please note that you will need an appointment this year to receive tax assistance. To make your first appointment, call 319-334-1019 beginning January 17 (weekdays between 9 and 5) to schedule an appointment at one of the locations listed. Clients can also schedule their own appointment at https://www.vccv.org/taxaide.html beginning late January.
- Cedar Falls: First United Methodist Church Two Visit Model
- 718 Clay Street
- Waterloo: Salvation Army Two Visit Model
- 207 Logan Ave (rear entrance)
- Waterloo: Westminster Presbyterian Church One Visit Model
- 1301 Kimball Avenue (rear entrance)
- Waverly: Waverly Public Library One Visit Model
- 1500 W Bremer Ave
What you need to know:
Tax-Aide sites are offering one-visit or two-visit tax assistance. Appointments are required at all sites. One-visit sites will prepare the client's tax return while the client waits (usually 60-90 minutes). At two-visit sites, clients will make a first appointment to confirm ID, complete the intake questionnaire and to drop-off their tax documents. A second appointment will be made at the first appointment to pick-up the completed tax return. For joint returns, both spouses must attend to finalize and sign the completed return for e-filing.
Required Documents to bring with you:
- Photo ID for you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
- Social Security card for you, your spouse and your dependents
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit
- Last year's tax return, including the Iowa return (if you do not have last year's Federal tax return, you can visit https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
- Any correspondence you received from the IRS during the year
- Your tax documents
Some Tax Documents you might have:
- Form W-2 --Wages/Salary from every employer
- Form 1099-R -- Distributions from Pension, IRAs, Annuities for each account
- Form SSA-1099 -- Social Security Benefit Statement
- Form RRB-1099R -- Railroad Retirement Board statement
- All Form 1099 -- for Unemployment Compensation, interest or dividend income, state refund, etc.
- All information related to itemized deductions (property taxes, mortgage interest, car registration, charitable contributions, medical expenses, etc.)
- Child or Dependent Care expenses (Care provider name, address, EIN/SSN, amounts paid for each dependent)
- Form W-2G -- Gambling winning (and documentation of any losses)
- Form 1098-T -- Tuition Statement for claiming Education Credit and documentation of expenses
- Information about any estimated tax payments made for federal or state taxes
- Form 1095-A -- Statement for health insurance purchased in Government Marketplace
- Documentation of all cash income received for Self-Employment and of expenses and mileage
- Schedule K-1 (there are limits on which Schedule K-1s we can do (please check in advance)
- This is not meant to be a complete list of what to bring to the appointment as that varies on the type of return. For further information or clarification, call 319-334-1019.
- Inclement Weather: If schools have been canceled, the tax service will not operate that day. If schools are delayed, the tax service will operate as usual. If your appointment is canceled due to bad weather, it is your responsibility to reschedule your appointment by calling 319-334-1019.
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program is sponsored locally by RSVP with support from Green State Credit Union in cooperation with national sponsors AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service. RSVP is a program of the Cooperation for National and Community Service and sponsored locally by the Volunteer Center of the Cedar Valley. Tax preparation services are provided by the IRS-certified volunteers.