A new system for making AARP tax appointments is currently under development. When more information is released we will provide the instructions and phone number. Tax assistance is not available through the university of northern iowa this year.
- All tax information for federal taxes can be found at www.irs.gov
- For questions about federal taxes call 1-800-829-1040
- The IRS may be experiencing heavy call volume and delays due to COVID-19. Please allow extra time and patience for obtaining answers to questions and for the paper copies to arrive at the library.
- Electronic and printable forms can be found at https://tax.iowa.gov/forms
- For questions about Iowa taxes call 1-800-367-3388
AARP Tax-Aide Free Income Tax Help
Please note that you will need an appointment this year to receive tax assistance. A new appointment system is currently being set up. More information about this system will be posted when it is live.
- Cedar Falls Community Center
- The Community Center may be closed due to covid cases in the area. Please check with AARP before proceeding to your tax appointment at this location. A temporary location for Cedar Falls has been set at First United Methodist Church.
- Salvation Army
- By appointment only
- Westminster Presbyterian Church
- By appointment only
What you need to know:
- All clients must bring a photo ID for yourself and spouse, and Social Security cards for everyone in your household
- All clients must bring last year’s (2019) tax return. If you do not have last year’s tax return, you can order a transcript online at >www.irs.gov or call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the voice prompts.
- Bring all income statements for the current tax year (2020) such as W2s, 1099s, and any other form of income received during the 2020 tax year.
- Clients who have Affordable Care Act Health Insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace need to bring with them all Forms 1095A that you receive.
- This is not meant to be a complete list of what to bring to the appointment as that varies on the type of return. For further information or clarification, call 1-800-244-7431 or 211.
- Inclement Weather: If schools have been canceled, the tax service will not operate that day. If schools are delayed, the tax service will operate as usual. If your appointment is canceled due to bad weather, it is your responsibility to reschedule your appointment by calling 1-800-244-7431 or 211.
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program is sponsored locally by RSVP with support from Green State Credit Union in cooperation with national sponsors AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service. RSVP is a program of the Cooperation for National and Community Service and sponsored locally by the Volunteer Center of the Cedar Valley. The appointment scheduling service is supported by United Way. Tax preparation services are provided by the IRS-certified volunteers.