the federal tax deadline has been extended until may 17, 2021.
The iowa state tax deadline has been extended until June 1, 2021.
all aarp tax assistance requires an appointment-there are no walk ins accepted this year. To make an appointment please call 319-334-1019. Tax assistance is not available through the university of northern iowa this year.
- All tax information for federal taxes can be found at www.irs.gov
- For questions about federal taxes call 1-800-829-1040
- The IRS may be experiencing heavy call volume and delays due to COVID-19. Please allow extra time and patience for obtaining answers to questions and for the paper copies to arrive at the library.
- Locate your local IRS office
- Electronic and printable forms can be found at https://tax.iowa.gov/forms
- For questions about Iowa taxes call 1-800-367-3388
AARP Tax-Aide Free Income Tax Help
Please note that you will need an appointment this year to receive tax assistance. Please call 319-334-1019 to make an appointment.
- Cedar Falls Community Center
- The Community Center may be closed due to covid cases in the area. A temporary location for Cedar Falls has been set at First United Methodist Church.
- First United Methodist Church
- 718 Clay Street, Cedar Falls
- Salvation Army
- 89 Franklin Street, Waterloo
- Westminster Presbyterian Church
- 1301 Kimball Avenue, Waterloo
IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
French language assistance is available. An appointment is required. Please call 319-296-4278.
- Hope4Healing at Hawkeye Adult Learning Center
- 120 Jefferson St, Waterloo
What you need to know:
During your first appointment, your IDs will be checked, you will fill out the usual paperwork, and you will organize your tax documents. Then you will meet with a tax volunteer to go over your documents and create a file for our volunteer counselors to use in preparing your tax return. Finally, you will make a second appointment to return to pick up and sign your completed tax return.
Please wear a mask-volunteers will only work with those wearing a mask. Please do not bring extra people to the appointment – only you, and your spouse if filing jointly or an interpreter if needed.
- All clients must bring a photo ID for yourself and spouse, and Social Security cards for everyone in your household
- All clients must bring last year’s (2019) tax return. If you do not have last year’s tax return, you can order a transcript online at >www.irs.gov or call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the voice prompts.
- Bring all income statements for the current tax year (2020) such as W2s, 1099s, and any other form of income received during the 2020 tax year.
- Clients who have Affordable Care Act Health Insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace need to bring with them all Forms 1095A that you receive.
- This is not meant to be a complete list of what to bring to the appointment as that varies on the type of return. For further information or clarification, call 319-334-1019.
- Inclement Weather: If schools have been canceled, the tax service will not operate that day. If schools are delayed, the tax service will operate as usual. If your appointment is canceled due to bad weather, it is your responsibility to reschedule your appointment by calling 319-334-1019.
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program is sponsored locally by RSVP with support from Green State Credit Union in cooperation with national sponsors AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service. RSVP is a program of the Cooperation for National and Community Service and sponsored locally by the Volunteer Center of the Cedar Valley. Tax preparation services are provided by the IRS-certified volunteers.