LIBRARY DIRECTOR (PDF brochure)
The City of Cedar Falls, Iowa, has a remarkable opportunity for an experienced or aspiring public Library Director. The City of Cedar Falls, Iowa sits in the heart of the Cedar Valley. The Cedar Falls-Waterloo metro area is within easy driving distance to Cedar Rapids-Iowa City, Clear Lake, and Des Moines. On the Avenue of the Saints, it is approximately three and a half hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul or Omaha, four and a half hours from Kansas City or Chicago. Cedar Falls is a progressive, forward-thinking city with a small-town feel.
- an innovator who is forward-thinking and values transformative library experiences
- a leader who is committed to shared decision-making and will inspire and empower a creative, dedicated, and enthusiastic staff
- a visionary who plays an active role in the community and advocates for library services
- a manager who demonstrates social and business acumen with proven skills in strategic planning and budgeting
For a library that
- Provides progressive, responsive service to patrons, and in turn benefits from strong community support, including a thriving Friends group.
- Fosters intellectual curiosity by incorporating new and emerging technologies into programs and services, offers an innovative nontraditional collection, and strives to offer fresh educational and recreational programming events.
- Has an annual budget of approximately 2 million dollars, funds from a special library levy, generous foundation assets, and a staff of 22 FTE, and has strategically used its resources to build a collection and services that resulted in large increases in cardholders, circulation, program attendance, and turnover rates.
- Is a beautiful 47,000 square-foot facility built in 2004 and situated in our nationally recognized historic downtown district.
In a destination community that
- is Iowa’s first gigabit city
- has a vibrant and lively downtown with many dining, entertainment, and cultural activities
- offers a wide array of outdoor recreational opportunities, including over 100 miles of hard-surfaced trails
- hosts an array of community festivals, including the College Hill Arts Festival, Sturgis Falls Festival, Cedar Basin Jazz Festival, ARTapalooza—just to name a few
- is home to the University of Northern Iowa, excellent public schools, and an outstanding quality of life
- has a thriving industrial and technology park that participates in the global economy
- has a median age of 27, and a population of approximately 41,000; median income of $58,000, and a less than average cost of living index of 86.9
Bring your energy, your belief in community engagement, and your support for deploying technology that improves our patrons’ experience. Utilize your strong skills in strategic planning, management, collaboration, and communication. Partner with the board, talented staff, elected and appointed officials, and community stakeholders to provide excellent library services for the citizens of Cedar Falls and the entire Cedar Valley.
Minimum qualifications include
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA-accredited institution, or current enrollment in a qualifying MLS/MLIS program to be completed within two years from date of hire.
- At least six years of library administrative experience reflecting steadily increasing leadership responsibilities, and demonstrating supervisory experience that includes training, coaching, and mentoring.
With the ability to effectively
- Communicate clearly both in writing and orally, including via public speaking.
- Form productive working relationships with the board, staff, community and civic leaders, volunteers, and the public.
- Plan, organize, and direct library operations including establishing guidelines, adhering to deadlines, and supervising staff in the performance of their duties.
- Use considerable independent judgment and exercise superior knowledge of library administration and organization.
- Manage emergency situations affecting staff, patrons, or property.
- Work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends when required.
The City’s full-time benefit package and current salary range of $87,110-141,564 will apply with starting salary negotiable based on experience and qualifications. Post-offer, pre-employment physical and drug screen required upon selection, as applicable, and a valid government-issued ID is also required.
Please see http://www.cedarfalls.com/Jobs for a complete position description. To apply, complete an application form at www.cedarfalls.com/jobs and submit the application, a one-page cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Cedar Falls City Hall, Attn: Library Director, 220 Clay Street, Cedar Falls IA 50613. Application materials received by 4:30 p.m. on November 26, 2018 will receive first consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer